Faridabad: The industrial city has been struggling with mounting garbage since August 6 as sanitation workers continue their strike over various demands and stage an indefinite protest outside the Municipal Corporation headquarters. Former Haryana Chief Parliamentary Secretary Sharda Rathore on Friday visited the protest site and extended her support to the agitating workers.
Sharda Rathore said the demands of the sanitation workers were legitimate and the government should accept them without further delay. She alleged that the workers had been facing exploitation for a long time and said the strike had severely affected the city’s sanitation system. Garbage heaps can be seen at several places, increasing the risk of the spread of diseases. She said elected representatives appeared to have “closed their eyes” to the deteriorating condition of the city and urged them to take immediate notice of the situation. Sharda Rathore also called for an end to the contract system and demanded that sanitation workers engaged through contractors be regularised. She said new posts should be created in view of the city’s growing population. According to her, the government has not conducted fresh recruitment for several years, resulting in a severe shortage of sanitation workers. She also demanded risk allowance for employees working in the fire department and those involved in sewer cleaning. She further sought ₹50 lakh financial assistance and permanent government jobs for the dependants of Bhavichand and Ranveer Singh, who lost their lives in a fire incident in the district around seven months ago. She said the government should initiate dialogue with the protesting workers and resolve their concerns at the earliest in the larger interest of the city. Vijay Arora, Mahendra Singh and Dheeraj Saini also joined Sharda Rathore in extending support to the protesting sanitation workers.
No Comments: