Shanxi, China, August 23, 2026: More than 90 people lost their lives after a major gas explosion ripped through a coal mine in northern China‘s Shanxi province, according to official media reports. The incident is being described as the country’s deadliest mining disaster in more than a decade.
The explosion occurred at the Liushenyu Coal Mine on Friday evening while hundreds of workers were on duty. Rescue teams managed to evacuate over 100 miners, while emergency personnel continued search operations in challenging conditions.
Hundreds Were Working Underground
Reports said 247 workers were present at the mine when the blast occurred. Following the explosion, authorities deployed hundreds of rescue personnel to the site to locate survivors and assist the injured.
Chinese President Xi Jinping directed officials to make every effort to treat those hurt in the disaster and continue search and rescue operations.
Injured Miners Under Treatment
Local authorities said 27 miners remain hospitalized. One of them is reported to be in critical condition, while the others sustained minor injuries.
Most victims were affected by toxic gases released after the explosion. Officials have not yet confirmed the exact gas involved in the incident.
One survivor recalled seeing a sudden cloud of smoke moments before people around him began collapsing. He said many workers struggled to escape as poisonous fumes quickly spread through the underground tunnels.
Safety Concerns Under Investigation
Chinese authorities have launched a detailed investigation into the cause of the blast. Initial findings reportedly showed dangerous levels of carbon monoxide inside the mine following the explosion.
State media reported that some members of the mine’s management team have been taken into custody as investigators examine possible safety violations.
The State Council has promised strict action against anyone found responsible for negligence or regulatory breaches.
Rescue Efforts Face Challenges
The Ministry of Emergency Management dispatched 345 rescue workers from multiple specialist teams to assist at the site.
Officials said the operation has been complicated by water accumulation near the affected areas. Rescue teams also encountered difficulties because mine layouts provided by operators reportedly did not accurately reflect underground conditions.
Mine Had Previous Safety Warnings
The Liushenyu Coal Mine had previously come under scrutiny from safety regulators. In 2024, national authorities reportedly listed the facility among mines with serious safety concerns.
The company operating the mine had also faced administrative penalties earlier this year over safety-related issues.
China’s Mining Sector Remains Under Spotlight
Shanxi province is China’s largest coal-producing region and accounts for more than a quarter of the country’s coal output.
Although mining safety standards have improved significantly over the past two decades, fatal accidents continue to occur. In 2023, a coal mine collapse in Inner Mongolia killed 53 people, while a mine explosion in Heilongjiang province claimed more than 100 lives in 2009
No Comments: